Monday, October 25, 2010

Prop 62- Some thoughts....

“The time is always right to do what is right. ” Martin Luther King Jr

I had an interesting conversation a few weeks back with a woman who will remain nameless (for her privacy and because i cannot remember her name). I was discussing Amendment 62, Colorado's Personhood Amendment and how excited I was to see it on the ballot (And I wanted some yard signs!). This person's answer shocked me. (Yes, I know that happens to me often, but without my low shock factor, what would I blog about?)

I was told that she would not be voting in favor of Prop 62 because Colorado Right to Life is run by a bunch of crazies that were excommunicated from National Right to Life (She is sending them a message) AND that now was not a good time for this amendment because of the current Supreme Court AND that failure was guaranteed and who wants to put your name on that. According to this woman, she is not the only Pro-life person that feels this way. All the “lawyers” and other politically savvy people in the pro-life community feel this way as well...

Since I was raised to be polite to my elders, I very politely disagreed. I would research this issue and silently planned my blog attack.

 I did look for a reasonable disagreement (By reasonable, I was seeking a pro-life argument against the Personhood amendment. Naturally there are lots of pro choice arguments) and I spoke with Chicken Scratch Counsel. According to Counsel 
“ The type of law they are trying to pass is probably the best argument for getting abortion outlawed, and I will still vote for it, but I don't think they've quite got the language to a point that it will withstand challenge.”
 I guess laws are harder to write than non-lawyer/ non politicians may think.

Digression: Don't you ever wonder if lawyers write lawyer speak so that you have hire other lawyers to interpret lawyer speak therefore perpetuating the profession?

Moving on... What bothered me the most about the conversation with aforementioned woman was the fact that this person was willing to vote against something she agreed with to “send a message” and because she thought it was politically unwise. It is not the “right time” for an amendment to try and save the lives of unborn children.

Lots of situations with unfavorable surrounding circumstances came to mind.

**Moses stood in front of the Red Sea and told the people of Israel to Be Still! God will fight for you! (Exodus 14:14). Do you think as they stood there that any of them IMAGINED that God would part the water for them? 

**Gideon and only 300 men took the on the fierce Midianites. They carried jars, trumpets, and torches- Judges 7

**Daniel survived the night in a cave with hungry lions who probably very much liked the taste of human.... (Daniel 6)

**Martin Luther changed Christendom with a piece of paper nailed to a door.

**William Wilberforce changed the free world by believing that every man should be free. He never gave up until slavery was abolished in England! 

**Martin Luther King Jr. - One of the greatest movements in our country (in my opinion) was the 1955 Montgomery Bus Boycott. People worked together and boycotted the racially segregated buses for 381 days. They did not give up until the law was changed and people could sit wherever they wanted to on a city bus. 

All of these men fought for what seemed impossible and most unlikely. And yes, it seems unlikely that Prop 62 will pass. The last time we voted, only 25% of people voted in favor of it. And if it does pass, it is likely to be challenged as the contraception portion of it (if not more portions) are vaguely worded and unclear. 

But does that matter? If I believe life begins at conception can I vote any differently? I think Christians should be vocal. I think we should speak up for what we feel God wants us to speak up about. I do not think that we should play the political game to the extent that we are willing to vote against something that we believe in because of timing. 

I am what many snarkily referred to as a single issue voter. I have never voted for a candidate that is not pro-life, and I vote in favor of any proportions that threaten the legality of abortion. Abortion is the leading cause of death of human beings in our country- THE LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH. That makes “Pink Awareness” seem a little silly, doesn't it. 

I started this post over a month. I have agonized a lot about it. This is a difficult issue to talk about because I have friends and family members that have had abortions and I have no desire to rub their noses in it. I do not need to make another person feel guilty of their sin; I have my own sin to feel guilty about. But I realized that my silence is starting to make me complicit. And when I am complicit, I become as guilty as those who commit the act. So this is my first step in my speaking out on behalf of the unborn- More to follow.

3 comments:

  1. Here is an excellent post on the National RTL subject... http://coloradorighttolife.blogspot.com/2008/07/10000-challenge-to-national-right-to.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say - the reason Colorado Right to Life is no longer part of National RTL is because the Colorado chapter challenged the National chapter for compromising. National RTL along with Dobson compromised on abortions. They basically said "ok" to them. The Colorado chapter refused to compromise. They say no abortion ever, for any reason, unlike the National Chapter. I'll try to find the proper source but I do know this information first hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a member of CRTL we disagreed with promoting politicians or laws that codify abortion that is why we were excommunicated.

    ReplyDelete